Skip to main content

Hiding from the Kids in My Prayer Closet

Finding grace and laughter when motherhood gets real
Soon after Jessica Kastner became a mother, she wondered if she was the only mom who found pretend play more boring than watching playdough harden and who dreaded yet another friend’s Instagram post of homemade deliciousness.
In Hiding from My Kids in the Prayer Closet, Kastner shares her experience as an “unmom”—a mom who loves her kids more than she loves the daily experience of mothering. She helps readers laugh at the ridiculous, delight in the unpredictable, and enjoy being the mothers God made them to be.
Meet Jessica Kastner  an award-winning journalist and a contributor for the Christian Broadcasting Network’s CBN.com, Beliefnet.com, and the Huffington Post’s Christianity blog. As Connecticut’s coordinator for Straight Ahead Ministries, she shares God’s message of hope by leading Bible studies in juvenile detention centers. When she’s not on the trampoline with her three boys in Connecticut, Jessica shares her unapologetically “real” commentary on the Christian life at www.JessicaKastner.com

My Take:
This book was a bit different than what I expected. I was thinking more of a devotional, maybe Bible study type book about the challenges of raising kids and praying more for them. NOT!!  I guess the title just grabbed me as often I would love to "hide" from my kids in the "prayer closet". Instead this book is more a collection of humorous stories and tales about being an "un-mom" - mom. That is a mom who doesn't enjoy the usual mommy stuff but does love her children. I am not sure I fit into that particular category exactly, as I got married very young and raising a family has been my life. And I actually do enjoy being a mom, trying to do the Pinterest mommy stuff, albeit I may not be good at some of it.  But there are definitely times when I could use a "break" from my kids and the "mommy-ing" part of my life, and would love to hide in my prayer closet. 

Jessica's book was full of humor - some of which I didn't particularly get because I must not be up to par with "outside-of-the-home-life" in general, movies, TV shows or other things she uses to compare life with kids too. So, obviously, some  of the humor was lost on me. She also offers encouragement for those moms who are struggling with being a mom. Jennifer pregnancy was  not "planned" and she seriously considered abortion. Her book is an encouragement to be the mom God designed you to be, to accept help and support from others, and to endure the challenges of mother-hood, and realize that one day it will be worth it, even if in the moment you just want to "scream". I can totally see that there are many women who will be able to relate to this book!

I would recommend this book to those women who just don't feel cut out to be a mom, those women who enjoyed the single side of life, and now feel overwhelmed with their new mommy status and the sacrifices they have to make for their little ones. 

I was blessed with a free copy of this book by the publisher and Litfuse Publicity book to read.  I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions are my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Night Night Farm by Amy Parker w/ Giveaway - Ended

Congratulations to our Winner - Lynne In  Night Night , Farm by Amy Parker, parents and little ones will unwind as sweet farm animals in pj's say goodnight to their farm, their mommies and daddies, and to God. Rhyming verse, calming artwork, and whimsical renditions of favorite farm animals in their cozy beds will make this bedtime book a favorite for years to come. My Thoughts: This book is so adorable. I am already loving that one day I will be able to use it with my grandchildren. It is a hard back padded type cover. The pages are board book style with beautiful illustrations, brightly colored and full of the most adorable farm animals you've ever seen. They will capture your heart, as well as you child's.  Each page consists of a different animal going to sleep, written in poetic style with the animal sound and name of the animal at then end of each prose. The last page affirms how God made all these animals and "me too"! The child will learn about

My Body's Mine by Kayla Marnach

My Body's Mine helps children learn they have the rights to their body. Told through rhyme from a child's point of view this book on boundaries empowers each child to say no when others approach them in ways that make them uncomfortable. It also gives clear instructions on what to do if they are approached in an unwanted manner. The questions at the end of the book provides an easy transition for counselors and parents to open a discussion to prevent abuse or to further explore if abuse has occurred.

WildFlower - Review and Giveaway - Ended

Creatively gifted, college student Chloe Moray (portrayed by Nathalia Ramos, known for BRATZ,  Arrested Development ,  House of Anubis ) finds solace from a difficult childhood in her extraordinary art. But when an alarming dream begins to recur nightly, Chloe starts to believe that it might be a suppressed memory and that she may have witnessed a terrible crime as a little girl. Her search for peace takes her on a journey that forces Chloe to confront her past traumas and leads her to cross paths with Josh (Cody Longo, known for NOT TODAY,  Hollywood Heights , Nashville), a young man dealing with his own painful loss. Together they find in each other someone they can trust